Children and float for Cherry Fair Parade, 1916. Renska Swart Collection, Willamette Heritage Center.
The following is the title page from a Cherry Fair Scrapbook that was uncovered in the archives today (X2011.014.0001). It was written by E.C. Armstrong in June 1907 and gives the history of how the Cherry Fair, at one time one of Salem‘s largest events, came into being.
The first Cherry Fair was held July 5th and 6th 1906 in connection with the mid-summer meeting of the Oregon State Horticultural Society. Mr. M. McDonald first suggested that a Cherry exhibit be held in conjunction with the meeting. It was through Mr. McDonald’s efforts that the cups were secured by donation from the business men for premiums. A number of entries were made by local growers and by the Capital Comission Co of Salem. A good exhibit was also made by Mr. G. D. Woodworth of Hood River. A very fine exhibit of Lambert Cherries was also made by Miss Clara Webb of Troutdale.
So interesting and instructive was this exhibit that it was suggested that the Cherry Fair be made an annual event at Salem. no records were made and kept of the persons making entries or receiving premiums at the fair of 1906.
This item is written from memory.
Written June 1907.