This dark red/maroon cap has a gold ‘W’ on the front of it. It is presumably a Willamette University Cap as it is the right colors.
Knights Templar Ceremonial Hat.
This is a fraternal hat with black silk over cardboard. It has a front and back bill with the sides folded up to crown on both sides. There is a silver coiled metallic braiding on the front bill. The white feather plumes over the crown from front to back. One side has a silver and red cross surrounded by decorative black braiding. Inside of hat is a label that says: Henderson Ames Co. — Military and Society Goods Kalamazoo, Michigan”.
The Freemasons are a secluded fraternal society which traces its origins to the local fraternities of stonemasons in the late 14th century. Their rituals and symbolism are directly related to masonry, such as the symbolic use of the trowel. There are many affiliated organizations deriving from the Freemasons that are usually centered around specific beliefs and rituals.
Cherrians Hat, c. 1913
This hat belonged to charter Cherrians member Olaf A. Olson (1883-1967), a local dentist. The Cherrians organization served as unofficial ambassadors for the City of Salem. They marched in parades and organized events to bring attention to the area. The straw hat was a trademark of their uniform.
US Army Cap
This is a US Army cap with dark green wool, with a leather trim and a leather bill. There is a brass eagle insignia on front and a brass button on each side. It was made by Daniel P. Adamson in Westwood Village, California.
Motor Sales Cap, 1940-1964
This is a Skull Cap hat with “Colyear Motor Sales Co. 495 N. High St. Salem” on one side and “Your NAPA Jobber is a Good Man to Know” on the other side. The hat is black with red tape on the edge and white lettering. Colyear Motor Sales was located at the N. High St address from 1940 through 1964.
Man’s Uniform Band Hat
The cap above was used for “Cherry Bud Band”. It is navy blue with a gold band, a metallic floral trim, and a “Director” black brim. The band played at the Oregon State Fair each year and at the Rose Festival as well as the Cherrian event in Salem, during the 1920’s.
Baby Bonnet, 1913
While there are documented examples of blue and pink being used to identify male and female children in a hospital as early as 1869, the large scale differentiation of boys and girls clothing by color in American clothing is a post WWII phenomenon. Trade catalogs from as late as 1918 suggest pink for boys and blue for girls. Red was considered a masculine color and pink, the diminutive form, appropriate for young men. Blue was thought of as dainty. Bernice, Irene Fink’s mother must have bought into this ideology as this bonnet (displayed) and her baby booties (not displayed) were decidedly blue.
This is a Boy Scout Uniform Garrison cap. It is a dark green uniform cap with an EXPLORER emblem on one side and a brown thread trim. Inside the cap is: “Sanforized — Large — 7-7 1/8 — Price $ 1.00 — Name: _____________” Label, “Boy Scouts of American Official Cap…”
Camp Fire Girls Cap
The Camp Fire Girls of America was the first nonsectarian, multicultural organization for girls. Just like its “brother” organization, the Boy Scouts of America, it emphasized camping and outdoor education. Today, the organization has changed their name to Camp Fire with membership open to both girls and boys.
Nurse Head Scarf
This is a dark blue cotton head scarf form American Red Cross Nurse’s uniform. There is a white band across front and arc cross in red on white sewn front center. This was used by Red Cross nurses as a part of their uniform.
Day Cap, c. 1850
WHC M3 1981-015-0007
Women in the early 19th century often kept their hair covered this certain hats like the bonnet above. This would be used mainly indoors and hats with a wider brim were more common outside to avoid getting freckles.
Al Kader Fez Cap
The Ancient Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine was founded by thirteen Freemasons, which has led to over 300,000 members and 196 Shrine Centers. The Shriners are a community-oriented fraternal organization with Shriner hospitals all around the United States, dedicated to helping children. The Al Kader Shriners is the name of the Portland, Oregon chapter.
Fraternal Cap with Case
This is a round black cloth hat with gold piping and braiding, no brim, and a metallic coiled emblem on front in shape of back to back eagles with a “3” within a red triangle. There is a Leather inner headband and a gold colored button attached on both sides of cap. the name “KENNETH J. GOLUET” is stitched in gold thread on inside of cap. This hat is properly a 32nd degree Masonic/Shriner cap.
This Khaki green hat with gold braid has a VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS symbol on one side and 661 OREGON. It is a Size 7 1/8 and was used as a part of a uniform.
Hat, American Legion. c. 1932
This hat is dark blue with gold trim and shows the emblem of the American Legion on one side with the number 9 on the other. Owned by John Kovarik (1891-1985), Veteran of World War I.
“The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nation’s largest wartime veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service members and veterans.” -The American Legion Mission.
Chinese Hat, unknown
This hat’s donor called it a “Chinese worker’s hat.” Beyond that, its history is a mystery.
WHC M3 1991-200-0849
This hard hat belonged to the Thomas Kay Woolen Mill’s long-time millwright, Wayne Mentzer (1904-1984). It would have protected his head from the machinery while he was doing his job.
Hat, c. 1955
The hat above was made by a company in New York City for exclusive sale at Meier & Frank Stores. This hat was owned by Edith Elizabeth Jennings Jones, who was a long time employee at Sally’s Dress Shop in Salem.
Derby, c. 1920
This derby belonged to Louis Lachmund, a fruit and hops grower turned mayor and state legislator. This type of hat is also called a bowler, which is more common in Great Britain.
Motoring type hat.
This driving hat is white and all cloth with 2 buttons & a strap on top. Inside the hat is “OUR STANDARD” and ‘6 1/2″‘. There is a brim across front. In the early days of driving, it was common to wear thing like driving hats, gloves, goggles, and coats in order to keep yourself clean from the car and the rushing wind.
This motoring cap is made of white cloth with metal snaps & buttons.
WHC M3 1978-012-0005
This cap was used by women during the night time to keep their hair in place as they slept.
Women’s hat c. 1950s-1960s
This is a women’s cloche hat with white feathers and black velvet ribbon. There is a label that says: “Union Made AM 953564 in USA”
This is a women’s hat of white rayon crepe over a white base and a bow in the back. The label reads “union made Go 820044 in USA”
This is a turban-styled white hat with very large ribbon in the back.
Nurse Cap. c. 1918
This is a white cotton lawn, with the Red Cross sown on front. It is a scarf style that buttons in back. This was worn by nurse’s aides in World War I.