From March 6th -13th, a crew from J/K Carpet Center in Salem worked diligently to replace the flooring in the Spinning Room, our largest event venue facilitating up to 350 guests. The week-long project was completed early, and the WHC community is thrilled with the result. The previously white-painted plywood floor has been replaced with stunning luxury vinyl planks with a 15-year guarantee, capable of withstanding the high traffic and movement the room endures.
A community effort, the project was supported by grants and funding from the City of Salem Transient Occupancy Tax, The Kinsman Foundation, Salem City Club, and Salem Downtown Rotary. A dedicated group of volunteers prepped the floors, and J/K Carpet Center completed the job.
The transformation is expected to have a positive impact on the venue, with an increase in rentals, and added protection to preserve the original structure of the Thomas Kay Woolen Mill, built in 1896. The Willamette Heritage Center thanks everyone who played a role in making this possible.
On July 26th, 2017, the WHC welcomed its first new permanent exhibit in thirty years, Oregon & California Caboose #507, built in 1909. The caboose traveled the tracks west of the Thomas Kay Woolen Mill for over forty years. Some time after its retirement, it was moved to a private property near Eugene, Oregon, where it remained until being transported to Salem. The caboose is now being restored to its last operable condition, and will be opened to the public as an exhibit space in a couple of years.
Volunteers are hard at work, and have already replaced the roof and a large portion of the siding. Click here to learn more about the caboose project.
Thanks to a grant from the Oregon Cultural Trust, we were able to have a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning system installed in the Large Object Storage Building. This project is critical to the care and longevity of the artifacts housed in the building, and will help ensure they remain in excellent condition for generations to come.