Publications

Publications are one way in which the Willamette Heritage Center preserves and documents the history of the Mid-Willamette Valley.  The WHC and its predecessor organizations, the Marion County Historical Society and the Mission Mill Museum, have an impressive catalog of publications, listed below.  Looking for a particular topic?  Make sure to check out our WHC Publications Master Index.  Titles not out of print are available for sale at the Willamette Heritage Center.

Willamette Valley Voices

Willamette Valley Voices journal is the latest in a long history of documenting our community’s history through scholarship and publication.  It was begun in 2012 as a showcase for scholarly writing pertaining to history and heritage in Oregon’s Willamette Valley, south of Portland.  Articles are written by scholars, students, heritage professionals and historians – professional and amateur.  Editions are themed to orient authors and readers to varied and important topics in Valley history.

The  2017 issue will be published in conjunction with the WHC’s 2017 Winter Exhibition called “Nature and Community.” The journal and exhibit will explore the complex interactions between human communities and the non-human natural world (including landscape, flora, fauna, and natural resources) in Oregon’s Mid-Willamette Valley.  Want to publish your work on this topic?  Submit your 5,000-7,000 word article to wvv@willametteheritage.org by January 9, 2017. The  journal will be published in the spring of 2017. 

Awards will be given for best article by an undergraduate student ($150) and best article by a graduate student or independent scholar ($250).  

For a list of potential research materials in the WHC’s archival collections, please click here.

All Willamette Valley Voices editions are available here in digital format for free; hard copies may be purchased in person at the WHC for $10.  

WVV_cover_winter_2014Willamette Valley Voices
Winter 2014, Vol III, No. 1
Click here to view as a PDF

WVV_cover_summer_2013Willamette Valley Voices
Summer 2013, Vol II, No. 2
Click here to view as a PDF

Cover-WWV-Vol-II-No-1Willamette Valley Voices
Winter 2013, Vol II, No. 1
Click here to view as a PDF

WVV_coverWillamette Valley Voices
Summer 2012, Vol I, No 1
Click here to view as a PDF

Digital Publications & Resources

Wallace Prairie CoverThe Wallace Prairie Years
A Chapter in the Saucy Family History
By Paul and Tracey Saucy
Click here to view as a PDF

WHC Publications Master Index

Includes subject index to Marion County Historical Society’s Marion County History, Historic Marion and Member Matters; Mission Mill Museum’s Milling Around and What’s Spinning; the Willamette Heritage Center’s Willamette Valley Voices; and the Ladd & Bush Bank’s Ladd & Bush Quarterly

Click here to view: WHC Publications Master Index

Marion County History

Marion County History Volume 1, 1955

OUT OF PRINT

Table of Contents:

  • The Parsonage: A Heritage by Burt Brown Baker
  • History of the Sam Brown House by Elizabeth Esson Brown
  • Fairfield Interesting Spot by Ben Maxwell
  • The Aurora Story by Clark Moor Will
  • Marion County Post Offices by Edwin R Payne
  • Sketch of Post Office, Map with locations
  • Remembrances of Lewis Judson by George G Strozut, Jr.
  • History of Stayton by Mathilda Siegmund-Jones
Marion County History Volume 2, 1956

Table of Contents:

  • Covered Bridges in Marion County by Ben Maxwell
  • The Penitentiary, Our First Institution by Sgt. J. R. Johnson
  • Willamette, Oldest in the West by Kenneth Lottick
  • The Story of Tabitha Brown by Roy Ohmart
  • William Parker and Parkersville by George Strozut, Jr.
  • Our Unmarked Fur Posts by Helen E. Austin
  • Champoeg, The Birth Place of Oregon by Chester C. Kaiser
  • A History of Hubbard by Clark Moor Will
  • The Rise and Decline of Oregon Flax by William N. Lee
  • Sketches of Salem by Lewis Hubbell Judson
Marion County History Volume 3, 1957

Table of Contents:

  • The Harvest Cycle on the Jacob Siegmund Farm by Mathilda Siegmund Jones
  • Oregon’s First Farmer by Harriet D. Munnick
  • David Leslie by Lewis Judson
  • David Leslie’s Report on the Oregon Mission, 1843 by David Leslie
  • Sketches of Salem from 1851 to 1869 by J. Henry Brown
  • Salem in 1869: A Year of Transition by Ben Maxwell
  • Memories of Early Salem by James W. Cox
  • The Literary Life of Claudius Thayer and Estelle Bush Thayer by Margaret Magone
  • Woodburn in the Gay Nineties by Della B. Stamps
  • Some Historical Facts by Ray L. Stout
  • Marion County Before Jason Lee by W. W. Herman Clark
  • The Great Reinforcement That Came on the Lausanne Voyage by Marion Rutledge
  • General Marion, Hero of the Pioneers by M. V. McKeon
  • The Coming of Angora Goats to Marion County by Lillie L. Madsen
Marion County History Volume 4, 1958

OUT OF PRINT

Table of Contents:

  • The Early History of Jefferson by Joe Benninghoff
  • The Founding of Mt. Angel Abbey: A Letter of 1883 by Rev. Ambrose Zenner
  • Hayesville Should Have Been Names Stephensville by George G. Strozut, Jr.
  • Reverend Lewis Hubbel Judson by Lewis Judson
  • A Hundred Years of Salem Theatrical History by Ben Maxwell
  • How Salem Got Its Water by Clark Moor Will
  • The Transition Decades on French Prairie-1830-1850 by Harriet D. Munnick
  • Music in Salem: 1900 to 1930 by Dorothy Pearce
  • Mt. Angel College by Sister Mary Ida
  • John M. Hollingsworth’s Reminiscences of Detroit by N. B. Payne and
  • Ashley S. Rose
  • Salem’s First Hangings by Frank Judd
Marion County History Volume 5, 1959

OUT OF PRINT

Table of Contents:

  • The Development of the Bush House by Susan Snyder
  • Salem in 1859 by Ben Maxwell
  • Oregon’s First Capitols, 1853-1876 by Saundra Moore
  • Street Names in Salem by Lewis Judson
  • History of Sacred Heart Academy by Sisters of the Holy Names
  • A History of Woodburn by Eugene Stoller
  • The Silverton Story by Ruth Geer Kephart
  • Historical Notes on Chemawa Indian School by Mary J. Mitchell
  • French Prairie Farm, 1839-1850 by Margaret J. Bailey
  • Black Gold: The Story of Lake Labish by George Strozut, Jr.
  • The James Mechlin Anderson House, 1855 by Ruth Kress Anderson
  • The Earliest Three R’s in Oregon, 1830-1840 by Harriet Munnick
  • How I Became a Woman Doctor by Mary Bowerman Purvine
  • Jesse Quinn Thornton by Chester C. Kaiser
  • Margaret J. Bailey: Oregon Pioneer Author by Orcutt W. Frost

Marion County History Volume 6, 1960

Table of Contents:

  • Building the New Courthouse, 1872-1873 by Robert Moulton Gatke
  • Salem’s First Streetcar Line by Ben Maxwell
  • Fabritus Smith by Roy V. Ohmart
  • “Dupatti” (Jean Baptiste Desportes McKay) by Harriet Munnick
  • Scotts Mills, Marion County, Oregon by John C. Brougher
  • History of Pioneer School, District 13 a Centennial School, 1852-1859
  • By Adelaide Orange and Areta Jones Harper

Marion County History Volume 7, 1961

Table of Contents:

  • Champoeg Flour Mills by Henry Zorn
  • Grandma Was an Indian by Harriet D. Munnick
  • The Chinese in Salem by Ben Maxwell
  • Marion County Centennial Markers by Lewis Judson
  • The Emigration of 1843 submitted by Lewis Judson
Marion County History Volume 8, 1962-1964

Table of Contents:

  • Jason Lee’s “Mill Place” – A New Mission House on the Willamette
  • By Elizabeth Walton
  • The Jason Lee House by Lewis H. Judson
  • “An Odor of Sanctity” by Harriet Munnick
  • Overland Staging in the 1860’s by Ben Maxwell
  • Journal of our Journey to Oregon by Eugenia Zieber
  • Indian Pits in Salem by Lewis H. Judson
  • On Stage in Salem by Alice Henson Ernst
  • Robert Newell and Newell House by Henry Zorn
  • Indian Camp Grounds of the Willamette Valley by George E. Tomkins

Marion County History Volume 9, 1965-1968

Table of Contents:

  • The Narrow Gauge Railroad Through Marion County by Ben Maxwell
  • Civil War Days in Salem by Lewis H. Judson
  • An Early Ascent of Mt. Jefferson by George J. Pearce
  • The Marion County Court by Wallace S. Wharton
  • An Empire by Henry Zorn
  • The Prairie That Slacum Saw by Harriet D. Munnick
  • Folk Sayings in a Pioneer Family of Western Oregon by Helen Pearce
  • Who Gave Salem Its Name by Lewis Judson

Marion County History Volume 10, 1969-1971

 

Table of Contents:

  • Medard Godard Foisy, Pioneer Printer by Harriet D. Munnick
  • Recollections of Crossing the Plains by Trenton Hibbard
  • Introductions of First Trustees of Willamette University by Lewis H. Judson
  • The Case House by Dale C. Schmidt
  • The Mehama Story by Ray L. Stout
  • The Cooke-Patton Pioneer Saga by Robert D. Gregg and Chester C. Kaiser
  • George Knox Shiel by Ben Maxwell
  • Dr. Luke A. Port, Builder of Deepwood by David C. Duniway
  • The Russian Old Believers of Marion County, Oregon by Roberta L. Hall
  • Marion Motor Hotel by McMillan Inns, Inc.
  • A Wedding Record of May 1886
  • Constitution of the Marion County Historical Society

Marion County History Volume 11, 1972-1976

Table of Contents:

  • Oregon’s Early Furniture and Furniture Makers by Ruth McBride Powers
  • The Reed Opera House by Edwin Cooke Patton
  • The Mission Roll Call by Harriet D. Munnick
  • The Mission Mill at St. Paul by Harriet D. Munnick
  • The Minto Pass and Trail by Corwin E. Hein
  • Aurora Colonists Ascend Mount Hood (1870) by Clark Moor Will
  • A History of the Town of Gervais by Mrs. Carl Prantl
  • Salem, Nature’s Garden Spot by La Rue E. Ross
  • The Romance of the Oregon Mission Rose by Lewis Judson
Marion County History Volume 12, 1977-1978

 

Table of Contents:

  • Physical Aspects of the Mission du Willamette; St. Paul in 1847 by
  • Harriet D. Munnick
  • Early Oregon Orchardist by Clark Moor Will
  • Aspects of South Salem by Clark Moor Will
  • My First Teaching Job by Maude Largent Cosho
  • The Last of His Tribe – Quinaby by Henry Brown
  • Speech at Chemawa School in 1886 by Superintendent Lee
  • Old Houses of the Willamette by Members of the Society
  • Old Cemeteries of Marion County by Members of Society
  • Index of Volumes 1 – 12
Marion County History Volume 13, 1979-1982

Table of Contents:

  • A History of the Salem Public Schools, 1893-1916 by Constance Weinman
  • Some Personal Recollections of Salem Schools: 1904-1982 by Mary E. Eyre
  • The History of Keizer Schools by Ann Lossner
  • St. Louis School District No. 59 by Mrs. Zoe McCormick
  • Eldriedge School District No. 60C by Dorothy Nolan
  • Claggett Cemetery by Ann Lossner
  • A History of the Silverton-Hills Community Club by Mary Hostetler-Murray
  • An Omnivorous Collector Discovers Aurora by Clark Moor Will
  • Auburn Renasance by Harriet D. Munnick
  • Through the Eyes of a Visitor, 1851 by Harriet D. Munnick
  • Going to Press by Stephen A. Stone

Local History Was His Game by Alfred C. Jones

Marion County History Volume 14, 1983-1984

Table of Contents:

  • Salem’s Creeks by Joan Marie “Toni” Salzmann
  • Prune Industry West Coast, USA, 1890-1982 remembered by Forest Cammack
  • Hop Agriculture in the Willamette Valley by Joan Marie “Toni” Salzmann
  • Willamette University’s First President by Ellen Foster
  • Victor Point by Bernita J. Sharp
  • History of Clear Lake School by Ann Lossner
  • Pratum School by Pearl Eyre Andrews
  • Bethany and Bowens by Ellen Lindholm
  • The Bell Ringers: Telephone History by Walter F. Dodge
  • The Salem-Keizer Telephone Company by Ann Lossner
  • Lord-Schryver: Landscape Architects by David C. Duniway

Marion County History Volume 15, Copyright 1998

Table of Contents:

  • To David Cushing Duniway
  • Original Oregonians
  • Pioneers and Missionaries
  • A.N. Bush Photography
  • Oregon Trail
  • Community Citizens
  • Communities
  • Education
  • Transportation
  • Commerce
  • Entertainment/Recreation
  • Preservation

David Duniway Books

David Cushing Duniway (1912-1993) Photo Source: WHC 2007.001.0501.

David Cushing Duniway (1912-1993) Photo Source: WHC 2007.001.0501.

David Duniway

David Cushing Duniway (1912-1993) was a founding member and first president of the Marion County Historical Society.  In his professional life, Duniway served as Oregon State Archivist from 1946-1972.  Through his personal and professional interests, he was involved in many historic preservation projects throughout the City of Salem including the restoration of Deepwood Estate, development of the Mission Mill Museum and that of his own home, the 1865 McCully-McMahan House.  In conjunction with the Marion County Historical Society he researched, wrote and published several books on Salem history.

Glimpses of Historic South SalemIncludes articles and images related to buildings, homes, people and traditions of South Salem, Oregon.

Features include:

  • The David Leslie House
  • 1878 Bush House Description
  • Annual Lamb’s Tongue Display
  • Harding House, 1884
  • Pioneer Cemetery
  • Fabritus Smith, Pioneer of 1846
  • Four Generations of the Smith-Ohmart Family, 1938
  • Dr. Luke Port built Deepwood Mansion in the ‘teeth of tight money’
  • Winding of the Maypole at Yew Park School, 1912
  • Yew Park Streetcar line contributed to the development of Morningside
  • Webster House: working man’s dream house
  • Salem — From the top of Twelfth Street, 1913
  • Beautiful Saginaw Street House has tragic past (1445 Saginaw Street)
  • Curtis Cross’ Fairmount Home
  • Alderbrook is one of Salem’s most interesting Victorian Houses
  • Once a fine hop, sheep farm, Minto Island now becoming South Salem’s greatest park
  • Finished in 1912, the Oregon Electric gave Salem important railway service
  • Bush Photo give panoramic view of South River Road, slough, dairy
  • Schindler brothers operate Fairmount Dairy
  • First South Salem Italian Prunes planted by S.A. Clarke
  • One-room Liberty Schoolhouse overcrowded by 1891
  • New, larger Liberty School built in 1908
  • Coming of street cars to Salem in 1889 facilitated city expansion
  • 27 inch snowfall in 1937 broke 18 year record
  • Fairbanks ‘Guidance of Youth’ statue
  • David McCully House, 1865
  • Civil Works Administration backed Leslie Pool Project, 1934
  • Leslie Methodist Church’s Parsonage moved for the second time in its history
South Salem PastContains historical information on Native Americans, Settlers, Land, First Plats, Bush House & Pasture, Deepwood and Yew Park, Events, Fairmount Hill and Development.

Including features on:

  • Battle of Battle Creek
  • D.W. Craig’s log cabin on Pringle Road
  • Pettyjohn’s Stoughton Ranch
  • Streams in South Salem
  • Man’s intrusions on wildlife
  • E.A. Daue Grocery Store
  • South Salem School
  • John Minto
  • Miller Street Grocery
  • 1095 Saginaw St. S. The Daue House
  • South Salem essentially a bungalow neighborhood
  • Leslie Methodist Church destruction, 1985
  • Linis Z. Simpson Home
  • Salem’s first three Asahel Bushes
  • Sally Bush invites the girls to tea
  • Oak grove south of Bush Barn now heart of annual Art Fair
  • Picnics
  • Omega window at Deepwood estate
  • Dr. Luke A. Port
  • Deepwood Carriage House
  • Deepwood birdcage gazebo
  • Alice Bretherton Brown
  • Safety on early trains
  • Fairmount Athletic Club
  • All quiet on the Willamette, September 19, 1911
  • Ice skating on the Willamette Slough, 1914
  • First Public tennis courts in South Salem built at Leslie Middle School
  • Running Water, 1871
  • Bungalow Chalet Saginaw and Washington Streets
  • Harry and Laura Hawkins house on Fairmount Hill
  • Livesley mansion (Mahonia Hall), 1924
  • 415 Leffelle S. Spec House bought first by Ernest A. Miller
  • Robertson House added to National Register (460 Leffelle St S.)
  • House at Fir and Lincoln St.
  • 1874 Wade house
  • Memorial Day
  • Rosedale
  • Liberty Store
  • Liberty residents
  • Liberty Women’s Club
  • Salem Heights Store (Henry and Donald Wiggins)
  • Fairview Hospital and Training Center
  • Salem Heights School District
  • Merriam family settled along Fairview Avenue
  • Ben Lomand Park
  • Port-Manning House finds new home site
Publication: Dr. Luke A Port Builder of Deepwood CoverAn Urban Report from England to Salem, Oregon and San Diego, California.  Contains history of builder Luke A. Port and the history of his work at Deepwood and elsewhere.

Other Publications

Historical Atlas Map of Marion & Linn Counties, 1878 (2004 Reprint)

Publications: 1878 Historical Atlas Map of Marion and Linn Counties CoverOriginally published by Edgar Williams & Co. in 1878, this is a reproduction of an original from the Center’s collections.  It contains detailed maps showing land ownership, plate illustrations of prominent buildings and homesteads and a demographic descriptions of communities in Marion and Linn Counties, Oregon.

The Kalapuyans: A Sourcebook on the Indians of the Willamette Valley, 2004
Publications: The Kalapuyans publication cover

This is the 2nd edition of Harold Mackey’s text on the Kalapuya.  It was published in 2004 as a joint project between Mission Mill Museum and the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde.  This edition includes a new afterward from the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde and an updated bibliography.

John Minto: Man of Courage, 1980

Publications: John Minto Man of CourageWritten by Beverly Elizabeth Lowe, this book is full of images and stories related to John Minto (1822-1915) from the coal mines of Wylam, England to the Legislative Halls of Salem, Oregon.

Missionary Footpaths: The Story of Anna Maria Pittman Lee, 1978

Publications: Missionary Footpaths Coverby Sylvia Mattson

Anna Maria Pittman left her life behind to sail half way across the world to be a missionary in Oregon.  Drawing upon her letters and diaries and those of other early Oregon Missionaries, this book gives a good overview of Pittman’s life and marriage to mission leader Jason Lee.

Spinning and Weaving Wool: The Men and Women of the Mill, 1985

img205By Harry H. Stein

Booklet detailing the history of the Thomas Kay Woolen Mill (1889-1962) in Sale, Oregon and the daily experiences of its employees, especially focused on the years between 1914 and 1939.