Community ResourcesAumsville Historical Society (Museum and History Center) 599 Main Street, Aumsville, Oregon
The materials from the former Donald Historical Society are now held by the Willamette Heritage Center.
Community ResourcePacific Northwest Mennonite Historical Society 6030 S. Whiskey Hill Rd. Hubbard, Oregon
Community Resources:Salem Family History Center 4550 Lone Oak SE, Salem, Oregon Willamette University Archives and Special Collections 900 State St, Salem, Oregon
Online Resources:Lee Mission Cemetery Online Database Cemetery located at 2104 D. St. NE Salem Online History Salem Pioneer Cemetery Online Database Cemetery located corner of Hoyt and Commercials Streets Salem Historic Landmarks Commission (Historic Buildings) Willamette University Archives and Special Collections Digital Collections
Community ResourcesScotts Mills Area Historical Society 210 Grandview Ave, Scotts Mills, Oregon
Community ResourcesSantiam Historical Society and Museum Santiam Heritage Foundation- operating the Charles and Martha Brown House Museum 425 N. First Ave, Stayton, Oregon
French Prairie is a term given to the area north of Salem in Marion County where many retired French-Canadian engages of the Hudson's Bay Company retired. Oregon Geographic Names describes the area as "between the Willamette River and Pudding River, north of Salem."
Community ResourcesChampoeg State Heritage Area 8239 Champoeg Rd NE, Saint Paul, OR 97137 St. Paul Mission Historical Society PO Box 158, St. Paul, Oregon
This incorporated community south of Turner along the Southern Pacific railway line. A post office was established here on January 9, 1871. A school district was created in the area as early as 1857. In 2000, the community had an estimated 214 people, although one resident noted that they had "a Turner mailing address, a Stayton phone number and we're in the Jefferson Fire District." (Akimoff, Timothy Alex. "At a Fork in the Road." Statesman Journal. 8 May 2006.) The Oregon Geographic Place Names (5th edition, 1982) by Lewis McArthur gives an entertaining description of its founding, claiming that a folks just ran with it when depot materials intended for a station at the current location of Turner were wrongly delivered too far south. When the mistake was realized a new depot with a new name was established at Turner. Read more: "History of Marion, Oregon" by Margaret Davidson "History of Marion Grade School" by Linda (Smith) McLaughlin "Marion Memories" by Ivan Hadley, 1975
A.K.A Livesley, A.K.A. Croston This is the name for an unincorporated community southwest of the city of Salem along River Road, along the east bank of the Willamette River. It encompasses and area approximately between Halls Ferry to the south and Brown’s Island to the north. The history of this region is a bit fluid. Early Schools of Marion County (WHC X2011.001.0130) published by the Marion Intermediate Education District in 1976, states that a Marion County district school No. 48 was established on February 1, 1877. The 1878 Atlas of Marion and Linn Counties shows the school located on the south side of River Road, on a ridge, in the southwest quarter of section 6, Township 8 S, Range 3. The 1878 atlas also shows the Ferry Crossing, as what we now call Hall’s Ferry, listed as “Leabo Ferry.” On December 22, 1884, a Post Office with the designation “Croston” was established at Hall’s Ferry (see Oregon Post Offices 1847-1982 by Richard W. Helbock, 1985, second revised edition, WHC 2011.035.0001). Helbock describes the post office as “located at a ferry crossing on the Willamette, about 8 miles south of Salem. Situated on the east bank of the river at a place called “Hall’s Ferry.” This post office was in operation until May 31, 1901. It is likely the name Croston persisted until the closure of the post office, if not beyond. [soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/308309660" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /] In 1911, the Oregon Electric Railway established lines south of Salem and named their station in the area “Livesely” after Thomas Albert Livesley, who with his partner John J. Roberts operated large tracts of hops in the region. In 1925, Roberts bought out his partner Livesley and the name of the station and the community changed to Roberts (see Oregon Geographic Names by Lewis McArthur, 1982, WHC 2006.040.0494). The school seems to have followed the same naming trajectory. A March 23, 1951 Oregon Statesman article is titled “When Roberts School was Croston” and features a 1906 picture taken at the “Croston School.” It was also known as the Livesley and Roberts School respectively before it was closed in 1974 (see Alfred Jones “Roberts Goodbye is Sad.” Capital Journal June 6, 1974.) WHC Resources: Chambers, Doug. Illustrated Memoirs & History of the Livesley-Roberts Community 1840s-1940s. Self Published, 1997. Copy in the Library of the Willamette Heritage Center WHC 2006.040.0055 Claude Edwards Oral History (1968) with David Duniway and John Davis. WHC X2012.031.0037. Listen below.