The building to the left is known as the Gerlinger building. It was home of Salem’s Capital Business College, distinguished for the time future President Herbert Hoover took business classes there. According to the 1893 Polk’s City directory, the building was located at the SW corner of Commercial and Chemeketa Streets.
The Capital Business College was started in September of 1889. By 1903, the school had moved to 131 Court Street, and had 125 students enrolled in its business and shorthand departments.